Topic about: elizabethan and jacobean drama suggestion
elizabethan and jacobean drama suggestion
Subject Code: 231101
Brief Questions with Answers
1.Who are the university wits?
Ans: The ‘University wits’ refer to a group of pre-Shakespearean playwrights associated with the University of Cambridge or Oxford. They are: Thomas Kyd, John Lyly, George Peele, Robert Greene, Thomas Lodge, Thomas Nash and Christopher Marlowe.
2. Who was the greatest of the dramatists of Shakespeare’s predecessors?
Ans: Christopher Marlowe was the greatest of the dramatists of Shakespeare’s predecessors.
3. Who was the greatest of the university wits?
Ans: Christopher Marlowe was the greatest of the university wits.
4. Who is Faustus?
Ans: Faustus is the hero of the play, Doctor Faustus. His original is supposed to be Johann Faust, a rich burgher of Mainz, associated with Gutenberg. Historically, he is a reputed professor of the black art, a native of Germany, who flourished at the end of the 15th century and the beginning of the 16th century.
5. Who are Good Angel and Evil Angel?
Ans: The Good Angel and the Evil Angel are the personifications of Faustus’ inner turmoil. The Evil Angel encourages Faustus to take the path of damnation, while the Good Angel tries to save him. Their characters reflect Christian belief that humans are assigned guardian angels, and that devils can influence human thoughts.
6. Who is Lucifer?
Ans: Lucifer is sometimes thought to be another name of Satan. In Doctor Faustus, Marlowe uses “Lucifer” as Satan’s proper name.
7. Who is Belzebub?
Ans: Belzebub is one of Lucifer’s officers. He is a powerful demon. Faustus identifies him as God.
8. Who is Robin?
Ans: Robin is an ostler, that is, a horse-keeper. He is in charge of the stable and has therefore to look after the horses.
9. Who is Ralph?
Ans: Ralph is the assistant of Robin.
10. Who is Horse-Courser?
Ans: He is the man who buys Faustus’ horse. Faustus swindles him.
1. Who is Macbeth?
Ans: He is the evil King of Scotland. Being inspired by the Witches and his wife, he snatches away the throne from Duncan by murdering him and sinks into a state of chaos because of his greed and guilt; his evil acts lead to his ruin, and rebel forces lead an attack against him, and Macduff, in a personal battle, beheads him.
2. Who is Lady Macbeth?
Ans: Lady Macbeth is the wife of Macbeth. She is a deeply ambitious woman who lusts for power and position.
3. Who are the three Witches?
Ans: They are the three “black and midnight hags” who plot mischief against Macbeth using charms, spells, and prophecies.
4. Who is Banquo?
Ans: Banquo is a general in Duncan’s army and a close friend of Macbeth prior to Macbeth’s seizing the throne. Banquo is the brave, noble general who was brutally killed by the murders hired by Macbeth. The Witches prophesies that his children will inherit the Scottish throne.
5. Who is Macduff?
Ans: Macduff is a general in Duncan’s army who becomes suspicious of Macbeth’s part in the king’s murder. His son and wife were killed by Macbeth’s men and eventually he became able to slain Macbeth.
6. Who is Lady Macduff?
Ans: Lady Macduff is Macduff’s wife who was murdered by the ruffians sent by Macbeth.
7. Who is Hecate?
Ans: Hecate is the goddess of witchcraft. She helps the three witches work their mischief on Macbeth.
8. Who is Fleance?
Ans: Fleance is Banquo’s son, who survives Macbeth’s attempt to murder him. At the end of the play, Fleance’s whereabouts are unknown.
9. Who are the Murderers in “Macbeth”?
Ans: The Murderers are a group of ruffians conscripted by Macbeth to murder Banquo, Fleance (but they fail to kill Fleance), and Macduff’s wife and children.
10. Who is Siward?
Ans: Siward is the Earl of Northumberland and veteran military officer. He becomes an ally of Malcolm and Macduff and leads the first attack against Macbeth’s forces.
The Merchant of Venice
1. What kind of play is The Merchant of Venice?
Ans: The Merchant of Venice is a romantic comedy
2. Why is Shakespeare called The Sweet Swan of Avon’?
Ans: Shakespeare is so called because of his immortal creation in literature.
3. What is Venice?
Ans: Venice is an old city ot historic importance in Italy.
4. What is Belmont?
Ans: Belmont is a contiguous town to Venice in Italy, famous for her civilized culture.
5. Who is Bassanio?
Ans: Bassanio is an intimate friend of Antonio and lucky beneficiary of his wealth and generosity.
6. What is the agreement between Shylock and Antonio?
Ans: Shylock will pay Antonio three thousand ducats on condition that Shylock will take a pound of flesh from any part of Antonio’s body, in case of his failure to repay the loan in time.
7. How does Portia’s father condition her marriage?
Ans: Portia will have to marry the man who chooses rightly from among the three chests of gold, silver and lead.
8. Why does Shylock hate Antonio?
Ans: Shylock hates Antonio because he is a Christian and lends money to people without charging excessive interest.
9. What was the accusation of Shylock against Antonio?
Ans: Shylock accused Antonio of having repeatedly spit upon him and called him a dog.
10. What was written on the golden casket?
Ans: ‘Who chooseth me shall gain what many men desire’.
1. Who is Volpone?
Ans. Volpone is “a Magnifico,” or nobleman of Venice. He is a con artist who feigns illness to attract legacy hunters. He embodies greed and obsesses over gold. His love of watching others greed and flattery tends towards voyeurism.
2. Why does Volpone feign illness?
Ans. Volpone feigns illness to attract legacy hunters.
3. Who is Mosca?
Ans. Mosca is the parasite of Volpone. He is bothersome, obsequious, and conniving. Though he is lower than Volpone in birth, Mosca is effectively the master of the scam.
4. Who is Voltore?
Ans. Voltore is ‘an Advocate’, or lawyer. He is one of the legacy hunters.
5. Who is Corbaccio?
Ans. Corbaccio is ‘an old Gentleman’. He is one of the legacy hunters.
6. Who is Corvino?
Ans. Corvino is ‘a Merchant’. He is one of the legacy hunters.
7. Who are Avocatori?
Ans. Avocarori are the ‘four Magistrates’, or the judges from the Scrutineo.
8. Who is the Notario?
Ans. The Notario is ‘the Register, or officer of the Scrutineo. The Notario acts something like a bailifi would in a modern court of law. He summons witnesses, Swears them in, and, in general, and runs errands for the Avocatori.
9. Who is Sir Politic Would-be?
Ans. Sir Politic Would-be is “a Knight.” He is a traveller from England who prides himself on knowing the ways of a gentleman. He is a know-it-all who in fact knows not very much at all.
10. Who is Peregrine?
Ans. Peregrine is a Gentleman-traveller. Like Sir Politic, Peregrine is a visitor from England who thus serves to connect the storyline to Jonson’s home country.
The Duchess of Malfi
1. Who is Delio?
Ans. Delio is a courtier, who tries to woo Julia. Based on a historical character of the same name, his purpose is to be the sounding board for his friend Antonio. He acts as a narrator and is privy to the secrets of Antonio’s marriage and children.
2. Who is Bosola?
Ans. Bosola is the villain in The Duchess of Malfi.
3. What kind of man is Bosola?
Ans. Bosola is a lustful, greedy, proud, bloody and spiteful man.
4. On whom is the character of Bosola based?
Ans. The character of Bosola is based on the historical Daniele de Bozolo.
5. Who is Ferdinand?
Ans. Ferdinand was the Duke of Calabria and twin brother of the Duchess.
6. Who is the Duchess?
Ans. She is the protagonist, sister to Ferdinand and the Cardinal
7. Who witnesses the Duchess’ remarriage?
Ans. Cariola, the Duchess’s waiting-woman and privy to her secrets, witnesses the Duchess’s remarriage.
8. Who is Julia?
Ans. Julia is Castruccio’s wife and the Cardinal’s mistress.
9. How does Julia die?
Ans. Julia dies at the Cardinal’s hands from a poisoned Bible.
10. What is Malfi?
Ans. Malfi is a dukedom in Italy.
elizabethan and jacobean drama questions and answers
1. Who are the University Wits?
2. Describe the function of chorus in Doctor Faustus.
3. Describe Helen episode in Doctor Faustus.
4. Describe the significance of the Old Man in Doctor Faustus.
5. What is Faustus’s conception of hell and heaven?
1. Bring out the differences between Macbeth and Banquo in their reaction to the prophecies of the witches.
2. Whom does Duncan nominate to the throne?
3. What is going on in Macbeth’s mind when he hears the nomination of Malcolm as the heir to the throne?
4. How does Lady Macbeth persuade her husband to murder Duncan?
5. Describe the dagger- scene in Macbeth.
The Merchant of Venice
1. What are the Wrongs and insults done by Antonio to Shylock?
2. Describe the Bond Story in brief.
3. Describe in short the casket scene in the Merchant of Venice.
4. Describe the trial scene in the Merchant of Venice.
5. Write a note on the ring episode.
1. What is comedy of humans?
2. How does volpone Commit mortal sin by worshipping his gold?
3. Why, according to Mosca, is Voltore appointed as the sole heir of volpone?
4. Describe the mountebank scene.
5. How does Mosca describe the beauty of Celia to Volpone?
The Duchess of Malif
1.Briefly describe the character of Bosola.
2.Describe the wooing seen
3.What was the last piece of advice of the Duchess to Cariola Regarding her children ?
4. How is Bosola different from his masters?
5. Why does Bosola suspect that the Duchess is pregnant?
1. Consider Doctor Faustus as a morality play.
2. Comment on the dramatic significance of the last scene
3. Discuss Doctor Faustus as a tragic hero.
1. Evaluate Macbeth as a tragedy of ambition.
2. To what extent do the Witches influence Macbeth’s decision and actions?
3. How far is Lady Macbeth responsible for the tragedy of Macbeth.
The Merchant of Venice
1. “The Merchant of venice is the finest example of tragi- comedy that we possess’’— Discuss and elucidate.
2. Explain what is meant by the remark that Shylock is “more sinned against that sinning.”
3. Write a note on the theme of friendship.
1. Justify Volpone as a comedy of humours.
2. Sketch the character of Mosca.
The Duchess of Malfi
1. Consider The Duchess of Malfi as a Decadent play.
2. Discuss the character of Bosola.
3. Discuss The Duchess of Malfi as a revenge tragedy.
এই লিংকে ক্লিক করে অনার্স ইংরেজি ৩য় বর্ষের শিক্ষার্থীরা elizabethan and jacobean drama suggestion ডাউনলোড করো। ইংরেজি ৩য় বর্ষের অন্যান্য বিষয়ের Brief, Short এবং Broad Questions পাওয়া যাচ্ছে কোর্সটিকায়। ডাউনলোড করতে কোন অসুবিধা হলে আমাদের ফেসবুক পেজে ইনবক্স করো। এছাড়াও আমাদের YouTube চ্যানেলটি SUBSCRIBE করতে পারো এই লিংক থেকে।