আজকের বিষয়: the duchess of malfi questions and answers pdf
the duchess of malfi questions and answers pdf
1. Who is Delio?
Ans. Delio is a courtier, who tries to woo Julia. Based on a historical character of the same name, his purpose is to be the sounding board for his friend Antonio. He acts as a narrator and is privy to the secrets of Antonio’s marriage and children.
2. Who is Bosola?
Ans. Bosola is the villain in The Duchess of Malfi.
3. What kind of man is Bosola?
Ans. Bosola is a lustful, greedy, proud, bloody and spiteful man.
4. On whom is the character of Bosola based?
Ans. The character of Bosola is based on the historical Daniele de Bozolo.
5. Who is Ferdinand?
Ans. Ferdinand was the Duke of Calabria and twin brother of the Duchess.
6. Who is the Duchess?
Ans. She is the protagonist, sister to Ferdinand and the Cardinal
7. Who witnesses the Duchess’ remarriage?
Ans. Cariola, the Duchess’s waiting-woman and privy to her secrets, witnesses the Duchess’s remarriage.
8. Who is Julia?
Ans. Julia is Castruccio’s wife and the Cardinal’s mistress.
9. How does Julia die?
Ans. Julia dies at the Cardinal’s hands from a poisoned Bible.
10. What is Malfi?
Ans. Malfi is a dukedom in Italy.
11. Whom do the madmen include?
Ans. The madmen include: the Mad Astronomer, who lost his mind when his prediction of the apocalypse proved incorrect; the Mad Doctor, who lost his mind due to jealousy; the Mad Priest; and the Mad Lawyer.
12. Who is the Cardinal?
Ans. The Duchess and Ferdinand’s elder brother, the Cardinal of Aragon represents cold and calculated evil in contrast to his hot tempered brother. He is a Machiavellian character, using the power of his position to torture and counter the Duchess. Ultimately, he loses his ability to control events, and he is killed by Bosola.
13. Who is Antonio?
Ans. Antonio Bologna is the steward of the Duchess household. She falls in love with him and they secretly wed, managing to keep this hidden from her brothers and Bosola.
14. How does Cariola die?
Ans. Cariola dies tragically by strangling following the murder of the Duchess and the youngest children.
15. Who is Julia?
Ans. Julia is the Cardinal’s mistress and Castruccio’s wife. She is also wooed by Delio and later falls in love with Bosola. Bosola uses her as an unwitting tool to force a confession for the Duchess’s death from the Cardinal, after which the Cardinal poisons her.
16. Who is Castruccio?
Ans. Castruccio is a courtier under Ferdinand, and Julia’s older husband. He represents the cuckolded fool.
17. To which did Antonio compare a king’s court?
Ans. Antonio compares a king’s court to a fountain.
18. What did Bosola do for the Cardinal?
Ans. Bosola committed a notorious murder, and the rumour was that the Cardinal did indeed commission him to do it.
19. To what does Bosola compare the Cardinal and Ferdinand?
Ans. Bosola compares the two brothers to plum trees that grow bending over some pools.
20. Who was Tantalus?
Ans. In Greek mythology, Tantalus was the king of Lydia, who was punished for betraying the secrets of the gods by being immersed in water up to his chin.
21. How is the fate of Bosola similar to that of Tantalus?
Ans. Tantalus is a man entertaining a hope that remains unfulfilled forever. Similarly, Bosola’s desire of getting reward from the Cardinal remains unfulfilled. So, Bosola’s fate is similar to that of Tantalus.
22. Who was Ismail?
Ans. Ismail was the son of Abraham and the maid-servant Hagar. At the age of fifteen he was cast out of Abraham’s household.
23. What sort of person/ruler is Ferdinand?
Ans. Ferdinand is a corrupt person or ruler. He pretends to sleep in the law court so that offenders may become careless in their statements. If the offenders commit careless mistakes in their statements, he takes the chance to punish them.
24. Who was the Duke of Calabria?
Ans. Ferdinand was the Duke of Calabria.
25. Who is a melancholy church official in The Duchess of Malff?
Ans. The Cardinal is a melancholy church official in The Duchess of Malfi
the duchess of malfi questions and answers pdf
26. Why could not the Cardinal rise to the position of a Pope?
Ans. Instead of rising to the position of a Pope through virtuous living, he used bribery as his means of rising up. So, he did not get his office.
27. Why does Ferdinand offer gold to Bosola?
Ans. Ferdinand offers gold to Bosola to carry out his orders, to do what he wants him to do.
28. Why does Bosola refuse to take the gold coins offered by Ferdinand?
Ans. Bosola refused to take the gold coins offered by Ferdinand because if he take the gold coins he has to do some devilish deed.
29. What reasons do Ferdinand and the Cardinal put forth against the Duchess’s second marriage?
Ans. The reasons Ferdinand and the Cardinal put forth against the Duchess’s second marriage are:
(i) She is a widow.
(ii) She is of a royal blood and has a duty to her rank.
(iii) The second marriage expresses a lecherous nature.
30. Why does Ferdinand compare the Duchess’s court to a pasture land?
Ans. Ferdinand compares the Duchess’s court to a pasture land because the atmosphere of her court is full of temptation and there are many opportunities for sex indulgences.
1. Briefly describe the character of Bosola.
2. Describe the wooing seen.
3. What was the last piece of advice of the Duchess to Cariola regarding her children?
4. How is Bosola different from his masters?
5. Why does Bosola suspect that the Duchess is pregnant?
6. How does Bosola became sure that the Duchess is pregnant?
7. How was the Duchess tortured in her imprisonment?
8. Describe the scene in which the Duchess is strangled?
9. Describe the scene in which all the villains are killed?
10. What is Ferdinand’s reaction to the Duchess’s death?
11. What moral does Bosola draw while he dies?
12. How far is the Duchess of malfi a decadent play?
13. Describe the marriage scene.
1. Consider The Duchess of Malfi as a Decadent play.
2. Discuss the character of Bosola.
3. Discuss The Duchess of Malfi as a revenge tragedy.
জাতীয় বিশ্ববিদ্যালয়ের অনার্স ইংরেজি ৩য় বর্ষের শিক্ষার্থীরা, ওপর দেওয়া ডাউনলোড বাটনে ক্লিক করে the duchess of malfi questions and answers pdf উত্তর ডাউনলোড করে নাও। ইংরেজি ৩য় বর্ষের অন্যান্য বিষয়ের Brief, Short এবং Broad Questions পাওয়া যাচ্ছে কোর্সটিকায়। ডাউনলোড করতে কোন অসুবিধা হলে আমাদের ফেসবুক পেজে ইনবক্স করো। এছাড়াও আমাদের YouTube চ্যানেলটি SUBSCRIBE করতে পারো এই লিংক থেকে।